Tallying the Cost of Divorce
When you consider getting a divorce, one of the biggest questions in your mind is: how much is this going to cost? You hear horror stories about incredibly costly divorces, punctuated by endless litigation and painful custody battles. Suddenly, everything in your life has a price tag on it. So before you enter into costly divorce proceedings, you may want to know what the bill is likely to be.
There are a lot of expenses that pop up when you get a divorce. Here’s a laundry list of the costs that may arise during your divorce:
- If your divorce is acrimonious, it will be more expensive. The less the two of you are able to agree, the more it’s going to cost in terms of legal fees and mediators.
- Legal fees. Hiring representation costs money.
- Custody battles. If there is an argument over who will be the better caregiver for any children, the divorce proceedings will be prolonged.
- Property. The more things you have, the more things have to get divvied up. Again, this will extend the duration of the divorce proceedings.
- Debt. Dividing up debt can sometimes require the help of a specialized professional called a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst.
- Alimony and child support. If you are required to pay alimony and/or child support, these are expenses that will continue for years to come.
Speak with a San Marcos Divorce Lawyer
If you or a loved one is involved in family law litigation or a divorce case with child support, custody, or visitation issues, and need legal representation, don’t hesitate to contact the Fischer & Van Thiel Family Law Firm of San Marcos at (760) 757-6854 today to get solid legal advice and a professional divorce lawyer consultation.