Enforcement of Child Support

Following a divorce, oftentimes the non-custodial parent (the parent who does not get full custody of the children) is required by law to pay child support to the custodial parent. Unfortunately, many non-custodial parents refuse to pay some or all of the ordered child support for a variety of reasons. Not only does this create hardships for the custodial parents, but more troubling, it works counter to the best interest of the child as determined by the court.

If your former spouse or non-custodial parent has failed to abide by the terms of a child support order, a skilled and experienced attorney can help you to enforce the agreement. Contact the San Marcos child custody enforcement lawyers of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP, at (760) 757-6854 today to speak directly with a compassionate and dedicated legal advocate about your situation.

Consequences for Failure to Fully Pay Child Support

When a non-custodial parent refuses to fully pay child support, many serious complications can arise. If your ex-spouse has failed to pay child support, he or she may face consequences such as:

  • Wage garnishments
  • The seizure of possessions
  • Penalties associated with being held in contempt of court
  • Suspension of driver’s, occupational, and/or business licenses
  • Withholding of tax refunds

These penalties and the threat of their imposition can help to ensure and enforce payment from a non-custodial parent who fails to uphold his or her obligations.

Speak with a San Marcos Divorce Lawyer

If you or a loved one is involved in family law litigation or a divorce case with child support, custody, or visitation issues, and need legal representation, don’t hesitate to contact the Fischer & Van Thiel Family Law Firm of San Marcos at (760) 757-6854 today to get solid legal advice and a professional divorce lawyer consultation.