Child Abuse Statistics
Child abuse is one of the biggest problems facing the American family today. While we’re almost all familiar with news stories of kids being beaten and abused, we are often blind to it when it happens closer to home, without the dramatization of the news story. The only people who can prevent child abuse are well-informed and responsible adults. If you suspect that your spouse is abusing your children, contact the San Marcos divorce attorneys of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP by calling (760) 757-6854 today.
Every year, about 3 million reports are filed concerning child abuse and other forms of child neglect. However, these reports can concern multiple children. In 2007 alone, 5.8 million children were involved in 3.2 million reported cases of child abuse. And these numbers do not even tell the whole story, as there are numerous cases of child abuse and neglect that go unreported every year.
Additional, shocking child abuse statistics are as follows:
- Approximately five children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- A report of child abuse occurs every ten seconds.
- About 90% of child sexual abuse victims know their attacker; approximately 68% are related to their attacker.
- Over 60% of the people in drug rehabilitation facilities were abused as children.
- About 80% of people in their early 20s who had been abused as children have at least one psychological disorder.
- Child abuse costs taxpayers over $100 billion every year.
- Children who have been the victims of sexual abuse are several times more likely to develop alcohol or drug dependency problems.
If your spouse or partner is abusing your children, it is your duty to do something about it. If you’re interested in finding out more about your divorce options in this situation, contact the San Marcos divorce attorneys of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP by calling (760) 757-6854.